Friday, December 3, 2010

next gen

I spent part of this evening mentoring Humboldt State University students, mostly answering questions about consulting careers.

This bunch has more of a wildlife focus, they aren't specifically in school to learn about restoration. But several mentioned habitat restoration as among their interests, and most perked up when I used the phrase.

This was a sharper bunch than in past years. They had a plan, at some level, at least a rough goal. When I asked the standard question, what would you like to do, I only heard the dreaded "anything" from one person. Last year, most of them said that. They probably think that helps their odds, but as far as I'm concerned the conversation is as good as over at that point. They need to think for themselves, I'm not going to do it for them.

So it was a refreshing change this time. If I could have, I would have hired one of them on the spot, and others would get an open minded interview if they asked. This bodes well for getting some habitat put back the way it should be. Yeah, I know, it's a small sample size and maybe an aberration, but it raises hope. There are some good ones out there and almost done with school.

No comments: